At The Breeders we work closely with a range of equine industry partners on matters of common interest.
Harness Racing New Zealand
NZSBA is a Kindred Body of Harness Racing New Zealand (HRNZ), in other words a member of HRNZ alongside the clubs, licence holders and owners. NZSBA recognises Harness Racing New Zealand as the controlling and administrative authority for harness racing in this country. Until the constitutional changes in 2019 NZSBA had a representative on the Executive of HRNZ.
- participates in the governance of HRNZ through the annual conference and meeting;
- coordinates consultation on rules and regulations related to standardbred breeding;
- responds to requests for information and advice;
- assists HRNZ whenever practical in the administration of the standardbred breeding industry;
- sponsors breeding awards at the HRNZ Annual Conference.
The NZSBA office is co-located within the HRNZ office in Christchurch, alongside NZ Sires Stakes Board and NZ Bloodstock Standardbreds. For further information: www.hrnz.co.nz
Harness Racing Clubs
NZSBA and its affiliates work with and liaises with the harness racing clubs. Matters of particular interest include promotion for fillies and mares racing, sponsorship of fillies and mares races, the development of racing opportunities for trotting fillies and mares and bonus and incentive schemes for breeders.
NZSBA has a particularly close relationship with the NZ Metropolitan Trotting Club (NZMTC) which together with Amberley and Cheviot clubs support a $500 bonus to the NZSBA members who breed a winner at non-premier meetings. NZSBA is the sponsor of the Group 1 NZ Oaks.
New Zealand Sires Stakes Board
NZSBA has played a leading role in establishing the NZ Sires Stakes Board (NZSSB) over 40 years ago. The NZSSB is an incorporated society set up to administer age group racing within the harness racing industry.
An extensive series of aged group races are funded by the studs, breeders, owners, HRNZ, clubs and sponsors. The NZSSB administered race series provide high stakes across a wide range of races series. Separate fillies and mares races are run.
An Executive Board, which represents a cross section of harness racing is annually appointed. NZSBA appoints three representatives to the nine person board representing NZSBA and the North Island and South Island studs.
For further information: www.nzsiresstakes.co.nz
New Zealand Equine Health Association
NZSBA is a member of the New Zealand Equine Health Association (NZEHA). The objectives of NZEHA are to:
- consult with Government agencies on behalf of all equine stakeholder organisations in New Zealand on all issues relating to New Zealand equine health, welfare and disease incursion;
- ensure the interests and views of all stakeholders on all issues relating to New Zealand equine health, welfare and disease incursion are considered;
- develop anticipatory plans on all issues relating to New Zealand equine health, welfare and disease incursion;
- report to all stakeholders all relevant and appropriate information relating to the business of the Association, including strategies on all issues relating to New Zealand equine health, welfare and disease incursion;
- determine training plans and to provide and promote advice on training and response planning for all stakeholders on all issues relating to New Zealand equine health, welfare and disease incursion.
NZEHA’s activities are described at www.nzeha.com
New Zealand Equine Research Foundation
The New Zealand Equine Research Foundation (NZERF) is a charitable trust created to foster education and research in the New Zealand horse industry. The NZERF does this by funding and promoting the following activities:
The aims of the NZERF are to:
- promote and expand public knowledge regarding the welfare, breeding, feeding, management, health and performance of horses of all types;
- encourage the study and understanding of horses;
- promote or assist research and other scientific work in connection with horses;
- make public the results of research and other scientific work regarding horses;
- instigate or assist projects relating to the advancement of horses.
The NZERF Board consists of two members appointed by New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing, one member appointed by Harness Racing New Zealand, one member appointed by the New Zealand Thoroughbred Breeders Association, one member appointed by the New Zealand Standardbred Breeders Association, one member from Massey University, one member from the Equine Branch of the New Zealand Veterinary Association, one member from the New Zealand Racing Board, one member from Equestrian Sport New Zealand, one member from the New Zealand Pony Club Association, and one member representing New Zealand Equine Researchers.
NZERF’s activities are described at www.nzerf.co.nz